Did you know that certain spices not only add flavor to food but also have many health benefits including supporting vision?🌶
Here are just some of the spices that have eye health benefits-
– Paprika – This spice has a bright reddish orange color and contains a host of carotenoids. Most important for eye health are the macular carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin, two pigments that are essential in the fight against macular degeneration.
– Turmeric – This bright yellow spice contains curcumin, a potent anti-inflammatory compound. There are a number of studies that show that curcumin inhibits oxidative stress, NF kappa B, and angiogenesis. These inhibitory pathways may help in the fight against glaucoma, macular degeneration and cataract.
– Saffron – A bright orange spice that comes from the stigma of flowers is a potent antioxidant. Saffron has been shown to prevent retinal ganglion cell death in animal models and improve retinal function in humans. Thus, saffron has been touted as a potentially beneficial for both glaucoma and macular degeneration.
– Cinnamon – Cinnamon has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity, thus helping control blood sugar in diabetics. Cinnamon can be useful to combat diabetic retinopathy as well as some of the other ocular complications of diabetes.
– Cayenne pepper – This spice also comes from the capsicum plant (like paprika) and is a rich source of Vitamin A, important form retinal function and health of the ocular surface. Cayenne also has capsaicin, a substance that reduces nerve pain, shown to be helpful for migraine that often causes visual symptoms.
Be sure to add some spices to your life- your eyes will love you for it